Awareness of First Aid for Mental Health
FAA Award in Awareness of First Aid for Mental Health (Level 1 RQF/Level 4 SCQF)
- Each year approximately 1 in 4 people in the UK will experience a mental health condition and at least 1 in 6 employees experience common mental health problems in the workplace. Research has shown that work is the biggest cause of stress which can stop people performing at their best.
- Mental health conditions are often hidden due to stigma and fear of discrimination and research has shown that a culture of fear and silence around mental health is costly to employers.
- The HSE guidance "First aid needs assessment" refers to mental health in the workplace.
Training and Qualification
- This 4-hour qualification provides you with the knowledge to recognise a range of mental health conditions, how to start a supportive conversation and when and how to signpost a person to seek appropriate professional help. You will know how to recognise and manage stress.
- You will not diagnose or treat mental health conditions as this can only be carried out by healthcare professionals but will gain the knowledge to identify when a person may have a condition and know where they can go to get help.