Supervising First Aid for Mental Health
FAA Level 3 Award in Supervising First Aid for Mental Health (RQF)/Award in Leading First Aid for Mental Health at SCQF Level 6
- Each year approximately 1 in 4 people in the UK will experience a mental health condition and at least 1 in 6 employees experience common mental health problems in the workplace. Research has shown that work is the biggest cause of stress which can stop people performing at their best.
- Mental health conditions are often hidden due to stigma and fear of discrimination and research has shown that a culture of fear and silence around mental health is costly to employers.
- The HSE guidance "First aid needs assessment" refers to mental health in the workplace.
Training and Qualification
- This 12-hour qualification provides you with the knowledge to recognise a wide range of mental health conditions and learn about the support/therapy provided by professional healthcare providers. They will know how to start a supportive conversation and when and how to signpost a person to seek appropriate professional help. You will recognise and manage stress and understand the impact of substance abuse.
- You will learn about the first aid action plan for mental health, be able to put it in place and understand how to implement a positive mental health culture in the workplace.
- You will not diagnose or treat mental health conditions as this can only be carried out by healthcare professionals but will gain the knowledge to identify when a person may have a condition and know where they can go to get help.